Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Carving memories.... into my skin... with a hot glue gun and needle

I’ve recently been getting back in touch with several old friends, some of whom I’ve not talked to in 10 years (maybe?). Anyway, I’ve lost count of the years that have passed. Reconnecting with old friends inspired me to look back at my old journals and read through some of the old notes that we passed between us. I have this box full of junior-high school memorabilia. Days after I dove into these relics of my past, I heard about a show called "Mortified" where people get up and read personal entries and/or letters from their old stash. Isn’t that just the way the universe works? I just HAD to see the show. I saw "Mortified" at the Someday Lounge in Portland on March 8th and died laughing at other people’s horrific teenage experiences. You can check out the website for the live show here: http://www.getmortified.com/.

I’m not sure how my own memorabilia stacks up to the entertainment of others, but while I’m on the topic, I thought I would share an embarrassing page from my journal. Errors in spelling, grammar, or political incorrectness have been preserved for authenticity. Clarification, for the sake of understanding who/what I’m writing about, has been added in parenthesis:


March 30, 1994


Today, Emily (my sister) died her hair brown. People were mistaking her for me. Mostly my friends. Last night I got two pictures of *sigh* Johnny Depp! I got them from the newspaper. Mom found them for me! One was with him and some fat lady. The other was him with a retarded boy. So I cut out the retarded boy. They were both from the movie "What’s Eating Gilbert Grape?" I wanna see that so bad! *sigh* He’s soooo fine! Last night, I carved his initials on my left hand, just below my right ankle and a J on my left leg! With a needle. Sounds gross, but, it didn’t hurt. I did the J with a hot glue gun. Now that hurt!

8 comments:

Leah said...

I truly remember being a little freaked out when you did that. Very dramatic don't you think? But besides that, I did feel bad for your blistering skin.

Amanda said...

Leah, I was a total nut job. I'm suprised you stuck around at all. Maybe you were curious to see how the train wreck (that's me) would turn out. Haha!

Keith said...

Who's this J.D. fellow? I'll beat him up! He best to step off. Serious!

Supergabesmomma said...

OMG. I LOVE it! Ha, ha. I just read some of my journals form Jr. High last month and about died. Why the heck were we so dramatic?! I had an entry about being depressed because I didn't get Robin Hood (yeah, the one with Kevin Costner) for Christmas. How very sad for me...at least your crush was someone good!

Do you still have scars from all this?

Amanda said...

Kevin Costner? Oh dear. You poor thing. Hahaha!

I have no scars from those painful attempts to prove my devotion, but maybe a few emotional scars... my love for him was unrequited.

Amanda said...

Keith - I must advise you to never attempt to come between me and my crazy obsessed love for Johnny Depp. See what I was willing to do with a hot glue gun to myself? Only IMAGINE what I'd be willing to do to someone else if they got in my way...

Natalie said...

That's so embarrasing mandy!! I love it!!! :)

I read that mortified book too...it's hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Sadly, I no longer have anything in written form from my teen years. Somehow, I always had the forethought to destroy said angst ridden tomes...even so much as weeks after they were written. My old journals were nothing but empty books with a few blank pages, and many obvious torn out page spaces. I was so full of self-loathing that I couldn't even bear the thought of anyone accidentally seeing my thoughts..even in my teens when I shouldn't have been thinking that clearly. I just couldn't even look back at them myself without cringing. What does this mean? It means that my journal probably would have been comedic gold! It's the comedy that never came to be...