Mom flew in from Salt Lake City to support me at my graduation ceremony, but I had previously bought tickets to a Bat for Lashes concert happening on the night she was to arrive. So, rather than miss the show, I dragged mom down to the den of iniquity with me to see the concert. She politely agreed. Is my mom a trooper, or what? Turns out, the last “rock concert” she had been to was to see Donny and Marie. That’s right. The Osmonds… I told her I wasn’t sure that was considered a “rock concert” – aren’t they a “little bit country,” as well? (I know – bad joke – I just had to.) Bat for Lashes was great, but poor mom froze under an endless wind of air-conditioning and got more than an eye-full of drunken-people-watching. And, also, I think the two girls making out in front of her was more than she bargained for, but she stuck it through to the last song, because she’d do anything for her kids. Thanks for toughing it out for the sake of my own entertainment. You’re the best mom! 
In return for mom’s endurance through the previous night of mayhem, we took her to see the Portland LDS temple as a treat. We got a lot of lovely photos of the architecture, which seems to mimic the spire-like tips of the surrounding trees, and the roses on the grounds were gorgeous.




That night was my graduation ceremony!

I didn’t see anything wrong with wearing ripped jeans under the robe, since no one should be able to see under there. But I had to lift the robe to reach my cell phone in my pocket and mom quickly reminded me how inappropriate my exposed jeans were. Oh well… all formalities out the window.
I spun my honor chords tassels as often as I could so that my friends and family in the audience could see me amidst the huge crowd of graduates. It worked! I waited a long time for my name to be called, walked up to the podium behind a long line of blue-robes, shook some strangers’ hands, and was given a pretend diploma to show off to the cheering crowd! Yay me!!!

In return for mom’s endurance through the previous night of mayhem, we took her to see the Portland LDS temple as a treat. We got a lot of lovely photos of the architecture, which seems to mimic the spire-like tips of the surrounding trees, and the roses on the grounds were gorgeous.





That night was my graduation ceremony!


I didn’t see anything wrong with wearing ripped jeans under the robe, since no one should be able to see under there. But I had to lift the robe to reach my cell phone in my pocket and mom quickly reminded me how inappropriate my exposed jeans were. Oh well… all formalities out the window.
I spun my honor chords tassels as often as I could so that my friends and family in the audience could see me amidst the huge crowd of graduates. It worked! I waited a long time for my name to be called, walked up to the podium behind a long line of blue-robes, shook some strangers’ hands, and was given a pretend diploma to show off to the cheering crowd! Yay me!!! After the ceremony, we hung out at my favorite brew pub for well over 3 hours, ate pizza, drank beer, and laughed a lot.

Thanks to everyone for their support! I love you guys! You’re the best!!!So I’ve finally graduated! It felt like I’d never make it to this point, but here I am, already positioned to transfer to the university, and now I’m not sure I’m ready to go yet! There are SO many things to manage before we move! Nevertheless, the current has swept me thus far, and so I’ve got to be prepared for whatever life puts in my way. I’ve got a lot of rapids to navigate in the next months, so I’m just hanging on! Wish me luck! The journey has been fun, and I can’t wait to see what the coming year will bring!
4 comments:
Yay Mandy! Congratulations! So, are you selling your house to move? When are you going?
Congratulations, again! What a lot of hard work and adventure you've had since you moved up there.
Your mom truly is supportive, but you are as well- that was really sweet of you for taking her to the temple. I admire the mutual respect you have for each other. And also, how you really own who you are and don't apologize! A good example for me to follow. :o)
looks like you had a great time. congrats! That story about mom at the concert is pretty funny.
Hi, Mandy. Your cuz here. I got here from Emily's blog--technology these days.........Congratulations on graduating. Very admirable.
Your mom has always been "beyond cool." I still remember her marching with us in your living room one night while we were watching a show (Music Man?). I was telling Emily, and I mean it for you as well: thanks for being such a good friend to me and my sibs growing up. You were one of my best friend then, and even though we don't keep in touch like I had always hoped to, I have not forgotten you, nor all the times we had together. You still mean a lot to me, cuz. Phew, okay, a bit on the mushy side, but it had to be said.
Drove through the Redwoods a few weeks ago and thought of Mandy and Keith. Spent a few days in Newport and then went up north through Portland before driving home. I saw the neighborhood you live in in Oregon, but kids were screaming tired of the vacation by then and just wanted to get home. Anyway, I sent good thoughts your way, hope you felt them. Love, Amy
Post a Comment