Thursday, January 08, 2009

2009 Begins!

I've started the new year with many resolutions. Last year I ignored the idea of resolutions, but I have so many plans for this year, that I really need some sort of structure to follow, if I'm going to succeed.

Here are my 2009 resolutions:

1. Become a Morning Person

This one is probably the most difficult one for me to achieve, but I always try for it. I'm a notorious night owl. I can stay up late, late, late. But getting up in the morning is the HARDEST thing to do. Reasons why I need to become a morning person are that I now have to get to work a whole hour *earlier* than I did last year. And, last year I was consistently late for work, even with the extra hour to sleep in. This year will be interesting. So far, I've done well, though. Also, I need to make the most of every hour of my day now that I'm bogged with so much school. I also need to find time to get to the gym, and waking up early allows me to do that. Which, brings us to my second resolution...

2. Revert my body back to the shape it was in two years ago (i.e., go to the gym 3-4 times a week).

I miss my old routine of daily gym. It was so nice when I worked next door to a gym. It's not as convenient for me now. My gym is about 15 minutes from my house. Nevertheless, my health is so important to me. I'd like to (A) be able to wear my hiking backpack without seeing my gut hang over the waist strap, and (B) be able to wear a tank top in summer without being self-conscious. Furthermore, if I'm planning on doing fieldwork when I graduate, I need to be able to trapse around in all sorts of terrain without looking like a fumbling fool.

3. Find a local chicken egg farmer to get eggs from (at *least* one dozen a month should be fresh farmed).

Well, this one is obvious. Farm fresh eggs are better for the environment and they are also really, really yummy. Those dark orange yolks that you just can't get in store-bought eggs... mmm....

4. No more plastic produce sacks (use fabric reusable ones).

I buy a lot of produce, and I've used a lot of those flimsy produce sacks. I feel guilty every time I reach for one. No more! I've sewn several produce sacks for use, so that should get me out of that guilt-zone.

5. Drastically reduce the purchase of plastic container items (buy bulk and make stuff from scratch instead).


Keith and I collected all of our empty plastic containers and glass containers that we bought throughout last year. There were containers for spaghetti sauce, salsa, hummus, guacamole, sour cream, yogurt... on and on. At the end of the year, our cupboards were bursting with potential trash. Just used by the two of us! We've been using these empty containers as tupperware and they're useful to store home-made soups and dry beans, oatmeal, etc. Most of these things that we bought could very easily be made at home. How hard is salsa and hummus to make, really? Not at all. This also leads to my sixth resolution:

6. Do not buy bottle spaghetti sauce - gotta make it from scratch (reduce the glass bottle waste!).

This one just makes sense for same reasons as number 5. I do love Newman's Own, but I'll have to try to come up with a Holland's Own.

7. No more frozen foods (frozen food boxes are not recyclable).

Number one reason: Frozen food boxes are not recyclable. This bit of info shocked me the first time I learned it. The seamingly cardboard containers apparently contain some sort of wax that keeps the cardboard from becomming soggy. This voids their chance of being recycled. I look back at a time when I used to buy a TON of gardenburgers, frozen Amy's meals, no-chicken nuggets... I thrived on those things. But, again, these are things I don't need and I could easily make home-made versions that are better. So - out with the frozen foods!

8. Replace one cup of coffee with one cup of tea every day.

Tea is a lovely drink, and I need more of it. I love my coffee, don't get me wrong. But tea is easier to haul on backpacking trips and I need to ween myself a bit from the highly caffeinated lifestyle that I used to rely on.

9. Maintain the worm compostin bin.

I've got to keep my worms happy. I tried a worm composting bin a couple winters ago, and I was in over my head. I've researched a ton on how to maintain one properly since then, and I've started it over again. My new compost bin is 4 weeks in and it looks great so far! A little practice, patience and education should go a long way. I think my garden will be happier if I can utilize the benefits of the compost bin. Plus, this whole vermiculture thing has helped me slowly learn to get over the squeeling reaction that I have when I see a bug. (Earwigs, however, will ALWAYS gross me out. They will always be the exception.)

10. No more hangovers.

This last one is a sad one for me to admit to make. But, really, I needed to make it. I think I imbibed a bit too much last year, and amazingly, I'm making it a public goal to refrain from over-drinking.

2 comments:

Supergabesmomma said...

Nice! All very good things to do. I liked the spaghetti sauce idea. I think you will find that you start to prefer your own sauce. Bottled sauce typically has sugar in it, which makes me gag. Here's what I do: drizzle about 1/8 to 1/4 of a cup of olive olive into a small sauce pan and heat it over medium. When it is warm enough, put in some chopped onion (however much you like) and saute until soft. Then add a couple gloves of chopped or pressed garlic. Only let that cook for a quick minute or it will turn bitter. Then add a few pinches of basil, oregano, and thyme. Add one 15oz can of tomato sauce and let it simmer, covered, while you cook your pasta. Voila - totally yummy, easy sauce. Maybe even enough for a couple of meals, since there are only two of you!

Supergabesmomma said...

OK, I know you didn't even ask for these, but here is one more delicious recipe for pasta sauce:

Start with the same amount of oil and garlic as last time. Then add either 3 or 4 fresh, chopped roma tomatoes or a can of petite chopped tomatoes. Let it simmer for a few minutes over medium/low then add a few TBS of capers, the juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon, a pinch or two of salt and pepper and some fresh shredded basil. Let the flavors mix and when your pasta is ready (AWESOME with thin spaghetti) drain it and toss it into the pan to mix. SO GOOD! I made this recipe up after tasting a similar dish at a pub here...hope you like it!

Oh and PS - you know before that I meant cloves of garlic and not gloves, right?!