Just as I resolved to do this year, I snagged myself two dozen eggs from a local farm. It was so easy, I don't know how it took me so long to get around to doing this. I often take backroads to get home from work. The drive is so beautiful. Today, I took a very small detour to pick up some fresh eggs. I didn't know exactly where I was going on a chilly dirt road with nothing but dark trees lining the path, but eventually, a wide meadow opened and the stars were so bright, I could see the where I was supposed to go to get the eggs. A light was on in the barn. I parked far from it to take in the beauty of the night, walking along the dirt path, dreaming for a bit that it was my own property...
Six dollars later and I had two dozen fresh eggs in my hands. This really is a good deal for me. I typically pay well over $3 for one dozen eggs, sometimes close to $5, because I really like to buy the free-range organic kind. But they are soooo expensive! I'm not sure these eggs that I bought today are organic (I didn't ask) but they are local. That's important. Of course, after I've explored around to some other farms, I hope to find one with organic free-range eggs, but in the meatime, these eggs are worlds better than what I've been getting all these years.
Once I got home, I immediately cracked into them and made some over-easy eggs. A-maz-ing. One of the eggs was SO huge. There is no way to show a photo of an egg on a griddle without it looking slimy and greasy, so ignore that fact and just LOOK at how ginormous these pair of eggs are on this skillet!

Some day, I'll be gathering my own eggs from my own chicken. But in the meantime, I'll be supporting a local farm by purchasing my eggs there.
5 comments:
Cool! I wan't to buy farm fresh eggs too. I'll have to look for them around here. I would love to have my own chickens someday for eggs, but the thought kind of grosses me out too.
Check Craigslist!
I can't really see you owning chickens, either. But, you don't have ANY pets, so a chicken would seem like a stretch if you had any at all.
Yummy! Eggs are one of my favorite foods. I eat one almost every day. Thanks for the tip - I will look into it!
Natalie's comment makes me chuckle because our next door neighbors had 50 chickens in the back yard. You would not BELIEVE the horrifying stench! Not to mention all the chicken feathers that blew into our yard. Ew. The city ordered their removal, so I think they took them to a farm. They sure must have enjoyed the eggs, though. Now I'm craving quiche!
beautiful. I would have loved to take a trip like that. Luckily, Smiths sells local free range eggs for 2.50 a dozen. Oh how I LOVE fresh goodness!
Post a Comment