Friday, October 30, 2009

Heavenly Harvest

It is difficult to find a job out here in Corvallis. Ever since we've moved here, I've been looking for just a simple part-time job. Even something to pay me to work on just a day or two in the week, but the only job I was successful in getting was at an organic farm during the single month of October for their Fall Festival. I worked at the produce stand on the side of the highway. I stocked and sold produce, sold tickets for the festival activities, andn occasion, manned the corn cannon. If you're not sure what a corn cannon is, here's a video of Keith giving it a try.

You're supposed to shoot a corn cob through one of the targets in the field. It's a messy job to load that thing, and I got sprayed with a heckuvah lot of corn juice and husk shrapnel. But, hey, it was a paying job. That's right. I got paid to load corn cobs into an air compressed pipe.There are stranger jobs, I'm sure...



 
And as an added bonus, I got to take home a ton of free produce. They were inundated with bell peppers this year, so I hauled off with about 100 of them. It took me several days to clean, slice, and bag them for freezing, but we're STILL working through that bell pepper supply, and it's almost January!



 Another perk: Exploring the Corn Maze for free! Yeehaw!

No comments: