Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Wow! A whole month later...

This past month has been crazy. I'm barely staying afloat with school and work. And forget about management of any life outside work and school. Groceries? Who needs 'em? Laundry? 'Eh. I'll get around to that when it gets serious. And the dishes? Well, if there is no food in the house, then there is no need to worry about dishes. Okay, so it's not really *that* bad, but it's close. Any free time I can grant myself, I run for the hills to wherever there is no-responsibility.

Statistics. This class is without a doubt, the dullest, most brain-numbing subject I've ever studied. For me to remotely comprehend whatever it is I'm supposed to comprehend, I have to force myself to read the chapters over and over and over. It's been excruciating. And it doesn't help that I've been working full time without lunch breaks for the past two weeks. Where do I even find time to do my homework? Study? Somewhere during the 45 minute bus ride to work and from work to school. I don't even know how I do it. But last week I actually scored a 98% on my first Statistics exam. My luck has got to run out eventually. There is no way I can bag an A in that class when I don't even know what it is I've tested on.

Spanish is, as was last term, a fairly fun and easy class. But this new instructor speaks only in Spanish and she talks so fast! I'm feeling a lot more pressure in Spanish than I did last term. I am not exposed to the Spanish language outside of classes, so it's been pretty hard to absorb. And I try to participate in class, but we are allowed to ONLY speak in Spanish. That is horrifying to me. I think I know what I want to say and how to say it, but then I get stage fright. I've sent the class into fits of laughter more than once. I am that kid who *always* has the wrong answer and everyone probably feels bad for. I am more afraid of making a mistake than anything. This is the class where my being a perfectionist isn't an advantage, I realize this now. The only way to learn the language is to speak it, even if it is flawed. It's all about communicating. But I am so caught up in doing it *right* every time. How can I possibly do it right every time? It's just not possible. That really frustrates me. (Wow - How's that for an exposing glimpse into my psyche?)

Nevertheless, I'm managing as best I can in school with all that is going on in my life.

I've just received an email from my realtor. Apparently, my house-hunting was not all just a dream! The new drainage system will be installed around the house tomorrow and a contractor will fix some dry rot around the carport. All these repairs will be done by Friday. I'm so glad that this is being done before we buy the house, so we don't have to do it ourselves. We may have the keys in our hot little hands by this Friday. We might be able to start moving this weekend, if all goes like clockwork. But we have already paid rent in our apartment through the end of February, so we'll stay here until then. So as soon as the house is ours, we'll use the time in February to paint and update things throughout without all of our stuff in the way.

What have I gotten myself into? As if I do not have enough on my plate this month, we go and buy a house. Ha! I'm excited, anyway. That's enough to keep me going.

If there is a will, there is a way. That's always been my favorite saying. I don't even know who first said it. Whoever it was, they knew just what they were talking about.

3 comments:

Supergabesmomma said...

Wow, just when I was about to lose hope and send out a search party! Your month really does sound pretty awful! I'm so sorry. That is a ton to be taking on all at once. Just buying a house and moving is enough to send some people (ME!) right over the edge. But your house looked adorable and you are going to love owning so much more than renting. Renting stinks. There is nothing like having a place all your own, to do whatever you want with. And no noisy neghbors through the walls. Well, I am so happy to hear that you are surviving, even if it is barely. And don't think you are alone in the language class problems - I always got stage fright! Which is why the only German I know is limited to food selection and when someone sneezes! Keep up the hard work - it will so be worth it!

Natalie said...

Wow! You do have a lot on your plate, don't you? I feel for you....I hate those times in my life, when it seems everything comes at once with no reprieve. Just think though, in a month or so, you'll have a home, have a break from school...and who knows, maybe even get lunch at work!

Thanks for updating us....I've been wondering what happened to you too. Love you!

Amanda said...

That's the ticket, Nat! Eyes on the prize... eyes on the prize.