Thursday, January 03, 2008

Things I learned in 2007

On Nature:
That "young oak tree" at the end of my in-laws property is actually poison oak.
Poison oak is evil and will leave a scar.

On School:
Chemistry was and still is my least favorite subject.
Be wary of a lab partner with eyes that point in two different directions.

On Family:
Sometimes apples really do fall quite far from the tree.
Grieving is complicated. Frothy nectar makes for a feeble Band-Aid.

On Friends:
My greatest friends do not think, talk, nor act like me. They surprise me.
My true friends know who they are, and I love them for it.

On Life:
When the dryer breaks, the washer will break shortly thereafter.
The basement will flood. Ignoring that inevitability will not make bailing 500 gallons of water on Christmas Eve any easier.

On the Past:
History is just that.

On the Future:
I must be farsighted, because the closer I get to an end, the fuzzier everything becomes.

4 comments:

Supergabesmomma said...

Hey, nice post! At least someone learned something in 2007. All I learned (or reaffirmed) is that I hate moving and need more sleep than I get. Ha, ha. Sorry to hear about the water bailing incident. Sounds awful!! Miss you.

Natalie said...

I did not comprehend the family one at all. frothy nectar? what exactly is that?

I loved the pictures of your kitchmas party. You HAVE to lend us those sweaters so we can do it next year!!!!

Amanda said...

To protect the innocent, I chose to remain cryptic on that one. :o)

I'll box up those hideous sweater and send them your way. Gold shoes and all.

Emily-Hazel said...

Funny, I was just thinking the same as Natalie.

Your apple didn't fall far from the tree... you need to get to know the tree a little better. (Dad)