
My weekend was fairly low-key. I took some photos during a walk that Keith and I took around Oaks Bottom Wildlife Refuge yesterday afternoon. We were mostly hopeful to see the Western Screech Owls that we’d spotted there several times last year. We knew the hollow tree where the pair would nest regularly. Sadly, that tree, which was along the edge of the trail, appears to have been cut down. It was a gnarly, old, hollow tree, and I suppose it was bound to topple eventually. It’s just sad to see another old tree be removed, since they prove to be such good owl habitat. We did not see the owls during this visit. I wonder where they will nest this year.

Birding was not too eventful at the refuge, mainly because we were trying to race around the 140-acre loop before darkness fell. We managed to spot some Green-Winged Teals, Widgeons, several Great Blue Heron, a Red-tail Hawk, a crowd of Bushtits, a few Black-capped Chickadees, a pair of Wood Ducks, a huge flock of American Robins. Heard, but not seen, were a couple Brown Creepers and several Red-Winged Blackbirds. As the sun dimmed, a large flock of Canada geese flew right over our heads. So close, we could hear the thump of the wind on their wings. It was so beautiful we had to stop in our tracks to be audience to it!

Yesterday was a typical winter day in Portland, cloudy and grey. But there were a few small patches of blue sky that appeared now and again.
As the sky darkened, there was an incredible blast of hot pink that splashed over the clouds, signaling a sunset, which lasted barely a minute. We were deep in a thicket when sunset came, and we were lucky to be in a spot just clear enough to see the horizon and also capture a nice image of the sky reflected on the silvery wetland. 
After our time in the refuge, Keith and I had an intense sense of clarity and rejuvenation. There is nothing like getting outside to explore, even when the weather seems intimidating. After our stroll, we warmed up at the Oaks Bottom Public House over a hefty plate of Tatchos (nachos made with tater tots instead of chips – wicked good!) and extra spicy Bloody Mary’s.
And, I will close this blog with a sparce, wintery version of the ever-so-popular forest canopy photo. :o)

3 comments:
Ooh! Yummy! I must try Tatchos!! Oh, sorry - did you mention something else in your blog? Hmmm...
Oh, birds and scenery! Yes, that's it. Very nice! I love the pics. they definitely gave off the feel of the place.
Very nice.
Tatchos?? that sounds gross.
But, on the flip side...your pictures are GOOORGEOUS!!!
I love days like those. Nature really heals us, doesn't it?
Post a Comment