Friday, March 24, 2006

New binoculars!
I went out to the Audubon Society after work yesterday and tried out several binoculars. The most beautiful pair cost about $1200! No, that's not a typo. That's twelve HUNDRED dollars. Yowza! I opted for the "less expensive" pair, but they actually are very nice and I think they will work well for me. I can also give myself props for buying the binoculars made by a local company, called Leupold. They are quite reputable and are stationed out in Beaverton.
Right after buying the binocs, I just had to go out and try them, so Keith and I wandered out into the trails at the Audubon Society and searched for birds. First, we spotted the American Robin, and then wandered down to the pond and watched a pair of Mallards for a while. Sure, both are easy birds to spot, and common everywhere, but I need practice so I'll stare at anything with feathers right now. And they really are all so beautiful to see up close.
We then ventured down to the creek and spotted some Northern Waterthrushes. We watched them for quite some time and then spotted some Brown Creepers, creeping up the trees. We started losing light and the park closes at dusk, so we had to leave.
I'm so excited about my new binoculars, though. I've brought them with me to work today. I think on my break I'll wander out to the Willamette to see what I can spot. If only the river were not so horribly polluted these days. What a wonder it would be if the Bald Eagle returned to this region. There must've been a time when they were abundant; before we turned the river edges into industrial waste sites. We trade the wildlife for green ($). Such is the price for profit.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Awesome. I loved my bird watching class I took in college. I can't remember a single thing about it. Ha! But it was fun at the time.

We have some quails that visit our swingset in our backyard sometimes, and today there were some ducks wandering through. The boys went crazy. Alton was standing on the kitchen table looking out the back door sqealing "Duh!!" "Duh!!". So cute! He loves birds in our yard.

Amanda said...

How cute!!! We rarely get any birds at our new house. I'm upset about that, but that just means I have to venture off to find them. And anything that gets me outdoors is always beneficial.
We put a hanging feeder above our front door, and the neighbor cat took to stationing himself there on our porch, waiting for breakfast every morning. NO good at all. I wish people would keep their cats indoors. :o(

Ern said...

Wow! I've never seen a N waterthrush before!