Monday, March 20, 2006

Spanish Final Today.

I was unsure how I really was doing in my Spanish class, so I sent an email to my instructor last Thursday to see what my grade was thus far. I'm glad I asked, because my instructor has told me that I'm doing well in the class, but that she plans to give me a B because I (according to her records) have three absences! She says I can get an A if I make up my absences. Hello?! What is she talking about? I only ever missed ONE class and I had called her prior to missing that class to let her know I wouldn't be there. The instructor never officially took role until about the middle of the term, anyway, so I can only assume she had mixed me up with another student, but marked it on my attendence record. It makes me mad that my grade should be affected by attendance when I always have to go to such trouble to get to and from class every night.
Anyway, I sent my instructor an email objecting to her claim and told her I've only ever missed one class and that I can probably get my classmates to vouch for me on that, but she hasn't bothered to respond yet. I'm slightly worried because another classmate of mine was complaining that the instructor told her she was missing a ton of homework, when this girl knew she had turned it all in, but the instructor got very angry assuming the girl was lying and demanded proof that she really had done her homework. So the girl had to dig around to find her all of her old homework.
So how do *I* prove that I was in class? That won't be easy.
My Spanish final is this evening, so hopefully my instructor is fair and I can talk to her about it. It's just a B, sure, but since I know I've earned an A and that the only thing from keeping from that grade is her poor organizational skills, well, that's just not right.
Last week, I found out that I don't have to take anymore Spanish to complete the degree requirments and I am SO relieved about that. I prefer sciences and math over foreign languages. Yuck.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

That is so lame! I can't believe they would mark you down for attendance. As long as you are doing the work and passing the tests, that all that should matter.