Keith and I got out for a bit of birding on Mt. Tabor. It was a beautiful day and the park was packed, but we managed to spot several first-of-the-years (FOY) there.
FOYS included Olive-Sided Flycatcher, Western Tanager, Black-Throated Grey Warbler, and, most notably, a pair of young Great Horned Owls that were perched in broad daylight, just above the trail. Keith and I were scoping out some maple trees for a good look at a Black-Throated Grey Warbler, when Keith noticed the owls. I’m amazed at his luck of just looking in the right spot and, behold, there are owls! We could not (for the life of us) get any really great photos of them, because the sun was casting bright light from behind, but we gazed at them for a long while. We even shared the view through our scope with a couple random hikers who were curious what we were gazing at. It was amazing how many people walked right underneath the owls and didn’t even sense them.
FOYS included Olive-Sided Flycatcher, Western Tanager, Black-Throated Grey Warbler, and, most notably, a pair of young Great Horned Owls that were perched in broad daylight, just above the trail. Keith and I were scoping out some maple trees for a good look at a Black-Throated Grey Warbler, when Keith noticed the owls. I’m amazed at his luck of just looking in the right spot and, behold, there are owls! We could not (for the life of us) get any really great photos of them, because the sun was casting bright light from behind, but we gazed at them for a long while. We even shared the view through our scope with a couple random hikers who were curious what we were gazing at. It was amazing how many people walked right underneath the owls and didn’t even sense them.
Can you spot the owls?
Maybe look a little closer?
Closer?
That’s as good as it gets.

Too bad you weren’t there to see it through the scope. They were SO cool.
2 comments:
Wow! So cool! Sorry to take so long to reply - I have gotten lazy and used to your e-mails saying you had posted. So, when I don't get one...I don't check! But now I know better. :o)
I loved the Ivy pulling post! How funny that you got yelled at - whatever, dude. People are crazy! Like you would have nothing better to do than beat up on ivy for kicks. Ha, ha. You are a much better person than I am, btw!!
You get such amazing shots!!
Post a Comment